Search the Shake!

Sorry, I've been out with a sore Cutler. Updates galore coming soon.

Heat Crunch Time Highlights!

LOL.

LOL.

25-years ago, Len Bias did this.

Get me this out-of-bounds play!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

DJ's Quick Hits (World Series Edition)


Well, it looks like the Yankees are well on their way to a 27th World Series Championship...it's currently 7-3 in the bottom of the 7th, Game 6 as I type. Barring a late-inning comeback (which is highly unlikely as Mariano Rivera begins to loosen in the pen) King George will be able to die the happy, hated man he is. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Steinbrenner Yankees of the past 15 years have done everything in the power to give their fans a winning ball club. Not every fan of any team in any professional sport can say that, save maybe the fans of the Jerry Jones Cowboys or the Jerry Buss Lakers. Even though I despise the Yankees and their winter-long free-agent spending sprees, I'll admit if I owned a baseball team I'd do the very same. Alas, I make monthly payments on a goddamn Honda Civic, so we'll just spare the rest of the niceties & move on....

* For every Big Apple hotshot cover boy the Yankees have (Jeter, A-Rod) they have a Hideki Matsui & a Joba Chamberlain. Damn those dudes are f-ugly...

* Baseball managers must be the most stubborn men in sports (save a certain sweater-vested fella in C-bus). Charlie Manuel would not move the right-handed hitting Jason Werth up to hit behind Chase Utley (Ryan Howard hasn't even touched left-handed pitching vs. New York), he would not go to a 3-man rotation (Pedro again??), and Brad Lidge choked once again.

* I really struggled on a personal level with all the hype concerning the Game 6 match up of Andy Pettitte (age 37) & Pedro Martinez (age 38). The old guys out for one more fling...how much gas is left in the tank...yadda yadda. Dammit, I just turned 37 this year and I have feelings too...!

* The best thing about having Joe Buck in the booth during the MLB playoffs has meant that Thom Brennaman assumed the #1 play-by-play slot for Fox's NFL coverage. I like Thom, but only when he's NOT in the booth with Daddy/Marty.

* Who is Brett Gardner and why is he on my TV? With all that money that's the best backup centerfielder the Yanks could muster?

* When will baseball come to their senses and wrest control away from Fox & ESPN? The schedule is horrible. The Yankees have had more days off this post-season than they did the entire year! Should we call Chase Utley "Mr. November" now that he tied Reggie's single Series HR record? Would it kill them to schedule a handful of double-headers during the summer & get this thing over with before the NBA starts? Also, how is MLB going to win over the next generation of baseball fans when they should all be in bed @ what is now 11:45 p.m.?

Finally, I'll end with a non-baseball rant. Fantasy sports...whose idea was this? I've always been a big basketball fan, but never before would I as a mild-mannered chap from rural Southern Ohio have the urge to to seek out and punch Jason Richardson in the neck for throwing up a goose-egg in 20+ minutes vs. Orlando. I'm now obsessed with the assist/turnover ratio of players like Biedrens & Gallinari. Yeah I know, "...is that a vineyard?" grrrr...

(Get ready for the soundbite on Sportscenter of the annoying Michael Kay exclaiming, "Yankees win! Yankees win! Thu-u-u-u-h Yankees win!" Methuselah Rivera grounds Victorino out to second...thank God it's over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Man, that chick beside me is smokin'.

Imagine waking up and seeing this on ESPN. I look like I'm having a stroke back there. Good Lord.

Imagine waking up and seeing this on ESPN. I look like I'm having a stroke back there. Good Lord.

3:30 AM, after the Louisville game.

Today's Handshake Visitors