Search the Shake!

Sorry, I've been out with a sore Cutler. Updates galore coming soon.

Heat Crunch Time Highlights!

LOL.

LOL.

25-years ago, Len Bias did this.

Get me this out-of-bounds play!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Random Musings: NCAA Hoops, the Combine, and Giant Beavers

Some musings as I sit here watching Bruce Pearl blather on about something on PTI. I hate Bruce Pearl. Bruce Pearl is a phony and a snitch.

Alright, I have to say this up front. I wanted to post a picture of one of those giant inflatable beavers they had at the closing ceremonies in Vancouver last night, and well . . . let me just say that you don't want to go to Google Images and type "Giant Inflatable Beavers" into the search box. Sweet Mother of God, I'm traumatized. Good thing I'm drinking.

Anyway, the Winter Olympics are over, the NFL Combine is in progress, and March Madness is just around the corner. What does this mean? I have no idea. It's 6:21 PM and I'm on my third Goose & 7, so cut me some slack.

But back to the olympics and those beavers. I swear I can't get excited about the Winter Olympics. These people that are saying that hockey has been "rejuvenated" by the game last night are out of their minds. Yeah, I get the whole patriotic fervor thing, the underdog overcoming the odds, blah-blah-blah. Still, let's see a show of hands. Whose going to watch the big Detroit - Colorado hockey game tonight? Bueller? Bueller? That's what I thought. It's just another example of the ESPN talking heads blowing a story way out of proportion.

Did I like anything about the winter olympics? Sure. A couple of those women figure skaters were pretty hot. Nothing as nice as that Cohen girl (up top) from a few years back though. Meow. The men made me a little uncomfortable. Too many feathers and too much glitter. You know that box they go to and wait for their scores? They used to give them flowers while they waited. Pretty gay right? No way they could get any gayer? Wrong. Now they give them Teddy Bears. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I watched a little bit of the cat with the red hair flying around on his snowboard. Shawn White was it? He was pretty good. Ah, who am I kidding? I couldn't watch any of it.

Anybody watching the NFL Combine? Seriously? And I thought I had no life. I saw where everyone's heart was a flutter because Timmy Tebow had a 38" vertical. And this helps him become a good NFL quarterback how? I doubt that little jump pass he used in college will work in the league, but hey, I could be wrong. My point is I think the NFL Combine is a joke. See Tom Brady, Akili Smith, etc etc etc.

As I mentioned, March Madness is rapidly approaching. I can't remember a year where there wasn't a clear cut favorite. Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse are probably the favorites. I heard a couple people saying that the Widcats loss to Tennessee was a "good" one, whatever that means. Newsflash - there are no good losses. End of discussion. And this is neither here nor there, but I have it on good authority that John Wall is an assclown and a tool. Just sayin'.

I can't get excited about the Dukies at all. Sure, they're 25-4 but the ACC is really bad this year, cheapening their record in my opinion. I'm obviously rooting for West Virginia and Maryland, but they both have the kind of team that could make a deep run or be out in the 1st Round. Same for Ohio State. I'm so confused.

Note: WVU is dismantling #20 G-Town as I write this.When they're playing well they're scary.

I will say that Da'Sean Butler of West Virginia may be the most underrated player in the country. He's a 6'7" guard who can shoot, defend, and play four positions well. Think Jon Diebler except the exact opposite.

Oh, I got a text from Jimmy Patsos, head coach at Loyola-Maryland. He's an old friend who was at Maryland for years. He once got me home from Bentley's in College Park by laying me across the back trunk of his little sports car and driving me home. Long story. That's him in the picture, calmly giving instructions. Anywho, he's pissed he wasn't included in our tournament. Here's his take on the matchups so far:


"Jamie Dixon is a real wild card…in real life I do not have him getting out of first round! Gary if he was younger…….the champ is Huggins…and I want him in the steel cage match!"

Careful what you wish for Jimmy. And hey, who knew Jamie Dixon was such a pussy?

Speaking of the tourney, I think I know Gary Williams pretty well and there's no way I'd ever bet against him in any fight, anywhere. Dude is wired differently than most of us, and by "wired differently" I mean "batshit crazy."

One more thing. Did anybody see Jason Kidd "accidentally" run into Mike Woodson the other night? What a dick. Kidd loves to body slam people though. Just ask his ex-wife.

I got nuthin' else here. See ya on down the road, jack.

2 comments:

  1. The Jon Diebler line made me spit up my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can WV get a #1 seed if they win the Big east tourney, Shoe? I'm thinking long shot but a possibility.

    ReplyDelete

Man, that chick beside me is smokin'.

Imagine waking up and seeing this on ESPN. I look like I'm having a stroke back there. Good Lord.

Imagine waking up and seeing this on ESPN. I look like I'm having a stroke back there. Good Lord.

3:30 AM, after the Louisville game.

Today's Handshake Visitors